1972 Citroen Deux Chevaux RHD
Intended to replace the horse and cart for French Farmers, the goal for the 2CV was simple: It had to be inexpensive to buy and operate, be able to cross a freshly-plowed field carrying a basket of eggs, and it needed to comfortably traverse the poor and pothole-strewn French Roads. When first introduced for 1949, the 2CV was powered by a tiny 375cc horizontally-opposed, air-cooled twin producing a modest 7 horsepower. Pushed hard, the earliest 2CVs would just about reach 55mph. Those first 2CVs also had corrugated hoods and a canvas cover instead of a traditional trunk lid. Seats were basic benches, as were all the other interior controls and trim.
The power—such that it was—reached the front wheels through a four-speed manual transmission. Suspension travel was long and the, movement was controlled by four friction shops in concert with inertia dampers
By the time this 1972 Citroën 2CV 6 was built, displacement had increased to 602cc and output had jumped to 32.5 horsepower. The rear shock absorbers were switch to hydraulic components and the front inertia dampers were gone, shoulder harness seatbelts and bucket seats were standard, and top speed of the 1,290lbs car had crept up to 71mph.The sprint to 62 mph was more like a stroll, taking 33.5 seconds. In 1972, Citroën built 198,122 units of the 2CV, despite a basic design that went back to before World War II, and had already been in production 23 years.
Production continued until 1990, with sales gradually sliding. When the assembly lines were finally stilled, more than 5.1 million four-doors and variants had been completed.
This right-hand-drive 2CV was found in Northern Michigan and has been mechanically and cosmetically restored in this striking yellow and black livery.